Wednesday, March 22, 2023

 Nothing fancy this time around. Just happy to report that me and the fam survived the 'rona. 


Dang, it's been a while. I guess a small update is in order. First of all, for anyone wondering how that wig turned out; it was a decent idea. I made a few more versions of it and they turned out pretty well. They aren't water proof though so avoid water. 


Now, on to business. Over my three year hiatus I've learned to crochet, and I've wrapped up a few other projects that have been looming ominously over my head (I can hear them judging me when I start something new). My paper figures have been one of the few things I didn't finish... But they're fine. They like their tiny plastic priso- err... enclosures. 


....Anyway... I have a new project in mind. A new challenge. Maybe I'm behind the times and somebody else already did this, but I want to make a Ball jointed doll out of paper. Something that can hold up against the tension of the elastic. 


The number one reason I started making paper action figures has been for the customizability. I don't have to scour the world trying to find a figure that's close to what I want. I don't have to cut plastic figures in half. I don't have to sand. And I can have as much, or as little articulation as I want. Plus I can actually make them clothes. Real clothes. I hate sculpted on clothes. I hate them. I get why companies do it, it's easier and probably cheaper than sewing tiny jackets and thing. But I still hate it, and no body is going to change my mind. 


Back to what I was saying. I have a character in mind that I want to make. I've thought about using clay, but clay takes time, and sanding. One of which I don't have in bulk, and one I'm trying to avoid like the plague. Not to mention clay can crack, break, and burn. Paper can burn and tear, but if you step on it all you have to do is puff it back out and maybe patch it a little. 


I've made this character before, the hardest way. I used a Monster High doll as the base. I cut up the whole body, and modified it to be the right height and close enough build. But the key problem for me is the face. It works for the character, but it's not her face. It's someone else's. Someone else's character, someone else's work. It's not a deal breaker, I like the modifications I did. But I feel... Like I cheated? Like I took the easy way? I'm not sure. 


Long story longer, I'm making my character now, exactly how I want, with her face. I'm going to try and chronical my progress here as best as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment