Thursday, August 23, 2018

Would you look at that, a new post!

After a stint of finals fever, I have finished my semester and I am on my one week of summer vacation. So now is the time to make things.

This is the chest piece for my Halfling character, Dwyn (we're just gonna use her name, it's so much easier).

As is, I started posts with her, and now I have time to continue posts about her process. So today, we start with the chest piece.



Now, as per my usual, I have no progress shots from actually starting the "sculpting" process. Opps... But I did take pictures of the.... Solidifying process...? I don't know... I'll figure out a name for that later. Anyway, on my earlier builds, I ran into issues where the tabs, for whatever reason, would not stay together. They'd separate at the seams, and not even in the easy to fix way sometimes. On top of that, I encountered what I like to call, "Paper-rot" for those that don't know, it's when the paper just starts to turn brittle and crumbly. 
There had to be a way around it.

Now, there may be an easier way to solve the problem, but I like my solution. If you look closely at the pictures above, you can see thin paper strips running between her breasts. This locks the sculpting in place and helps to smooth it out. This also means that the base is more accepting of paint and other mediums. Plus, like I said, it's nice and smooth.


It also means, that it's stronger. The sculpting alone makes it a little sturdier (I've smashed my hand on it to test this) and the paper strips help to reinforce it, especially in places where it wouldn't be too logical to have mass amounts of sculpting.

Plus as an added bonus, it sounds like plastic if you drop it.



So all that being said, I'm going to end this post here. I'm gonna try and max out posts this upcoming week before school starts back up. Next time, I'll cover the purpose of the toothpick and maybe some of my helpful tools... More than that I'm sure, but that's what comes to mind right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment